NetSquid Beta Competition 2020
Welcome to this first NetSquid competition! To coincide with the recent beta release of NetSquid, we thought it would be a great idea to challenge both researchers and enthusiasts around the world to try out NetSquid, contribute to it, and win some amazing prizes all at once!
How to participate
- Sign up at our forum.
- This is the main location for discussions and issues.
- With the credentials from the forum you can access the documentation.
- Checkout the documentation.
- Install NetSquid using the installation instructions.
- Try the getting started guide and/or tutorial to get familiar with NetSquid.
- Be creative!
- Think of any useful/cool/fancy NetSquid extension, a.k.a. a snippet, building upon any example shown in the documentation.
- Here are some ideas you can implement or draw inspiration from:
- A way to visualize a quantum network and its (sub) components.
- A GUI to setup a quantum network.
- A Quantum Key Distribution package (bonus: add eavesdropper Eve).
- A snippet to play quantum games remotely. For example, implement a solution for a way to play Scrabble between any number of players without a third party, where the players can share entanglement. All players will cheat if they won’t get caught, so that should be prevented or detected.
- Create your own.
- For inspiration check out some of the existing snippet code repositories. A simple example is the Ping-Pong snippet based on the NetSquid in 10 minutes guide.
- Start your own snippet repository using the snippet template.
- Note: while we don’t require a specific license, we do strongly recommend choosing an open-source license (e.g. MIT, Apache 2.0) so your code can be freely used by the community.
- Submit your project
- Visit this sub-forum and post the link to your repository.
- Note: you can of course update your submission after posting the link on the forum, but only the latest commit before the deadline will be checked for the competition.
A jury will decide upon the winner based on criteria like usefulness, code clarity and documentation quality. The winner will be featured in a QuTech blog post describing his/her contribution, will receive a NetSquid t-shirt (world-wide shipping), and will be invited for a VIP-tour through QuTech (live or virtual, depending on COVID-19 measures and our limited travel budget). Next to that we will showcase the top 3 projects on our website.
Important dates and deadlines
- Start of competition: Monday, 22 June 2020
- Deadline for submissions: 23:59 CEST, Sunday, 23 August 2020
- Announcement of winner: Friday, 28 August 2020